Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Great Ocean Road


Yesterday, Christine and I took a tour down the Great Ocean Road. It was truly magnificent. The Great Ocean road is a 250 km stretch of road the goes long the coast of the Southern Ocean. We stopped at Bells Beach, which is the famous surfing beach. The waves were not that high, because it is winter here, but there were quite a few surfers out there. Here is a picture of me in front of Bells Beach.



We drove along the coast and stopped and different lookouts. This next area is called Gibson Steps. I didn't actually go down the 70
steps to the beach for 2 main reasons:

1. From the picture, I'm sure you can tell how windy it is. I tried to wear a hat, and it kept blowing off. It was BITTER cold and way too windy.

2. As we were pulling up to this stop, the driver says, and I quote "If you go down to the beach, be very very very careful. Rouge waves are known to come up on this beach up to 40 ft. high. Just be careful how far out you go"

I told you they are real!


After lunch at a place called Apollo Bay and a drive through the rain forest, we made it to the Twelve Apostles. It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen, and the pictures I took do not do it justice. What's very sad is that in the recent years the structures have been eroding into the sea. Just 2 weeks ago, the arch on the London Bridge fell into the sea. The picture below is the beginning of the formations, and you can see how the weather wasn't cooperating too well.


As we made it a little further down the road, the skies cleared up and it was even more spectacular. I am very glad I went on the tour, because the tour guide was able to share a lot of information about the area. I am going to go back in the summer time with my own car so I can spend as much time as I want.


If you want to see better pictures, go to http://www.greatoceanrd.org.au/


6 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS pictures!!! I want to go to there!

    And that is awesome re: rogue waves. I bet you almost lost it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look like you are freezing, but what a cool trip. Just the thought of you attempting to go down 70 steps made me giggle....since you are already notorious for falling. I can only imagin how hilar-ious it would be if a rogue wave got you. Not that would be a story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your pics and descriptions! What a fantastic opportunity this is for you. Take it all in and enjoy the work as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie! According to people these celebs are in Australia! ;)

    *****
    It's been one g'day after another for Tom Cruise's family...

    Taking Australia by storm, Cruise celebrated his 47th birthday Friday night watching an Australian football match from a private box with wife Katie Holmes and actor Guy Pearce, the leading man in her upcoming film, Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, which will start shooting in Melbourne soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! I can't wait to see it in person. Love and miss you and can't wait to see you in August! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Jamie! It looks/sounds like all is going well. Is it just me, or does Vegemite make you think of the I Love Lucy Vitavetavegeman episode?!

    ReplyDelete